The missionary priest, Father Joseph Rimmele, first visited the region in 1868 from his base at St. Mary’s Indian Mission east of Manhattan. That same year, a small frame church was built in Washington. The parish did not survive, however, and the building was sold in 1890.
A priest from Greenleaf ministered to the local Catholics until automobile travel made it simpler for them to travel to that parish. A mission parish was established in Washington in 1946, and a church was completed in 1947.
The first resident pastor was assigned in 1961, when a rectory was built.
Plans for a new church were started in 1976, and the new structure, with education wing and parish hall, was completed in 1979.
15 minutes before Mass
Fr. Joseph Kieffer
Upcoming Parish Events
Confirmation | Washington
410 B St. Washington, KS, 66968
7:00 PMView More