Catholics of Czech, German and Irish descent arrived here in 1870, and by 1873, they had constructed a small stone church. By the late 1880s, they constructed an addition because of the growing parish. There were 95 contributors, with donations ranging from 25 cents to $60. The original structure, plus the 1880s addition and a 1968 addition, continues to serve the parish today.
Several Czech-speaking priests initially traveled to Cuba to celebrate Mass, before the church was built and afterward. The pioneer priest, Father Louis Mollier, came twice a month from his parish in St. Joseph, beginning in 1874.
The parish has had a resident priest only from 1893 to 1921.
St. Edward Parish
1827 Q Street
PO BOX 99
Belleville, KS 66935-0099
Saturday (2nd & 4th)