Precious Blood Father August Reichert, based in New Almelo, celebrated Mass in 1878 on a farm northwest of Selden. Early Catholic settlers also attended Immaculate Conception Parish at Leoville about 6 miles northeast.
A s the town grew to about 200 after the turn of the century, residents began working for a church of their own. After permission was granted by Bishop John Cunningham, land was donated and the cornerstone blessed in 1906. The church was completed later that year, then blessed by the bishop in June 1907.
The church was expanded and remodeled and a basement dug in 1930.
In 1961 the parish purchased a vacated implement dealership building and converted it for use as a parish hall and religious education center.
Sacred Heart Parish
210 E. Washington Street
Oberlin, KS 67749
5:30 - 5:50 pm