Natural Family Planning is ...
|English Version||Spanish Version|
Natural Family Planning Is:
- An opportunity for couples to learn about their natural signs of fertility to plan or postpone pregnancy without using drugs or mechanical devices.
- A way to help couples who have experienced infertility as well as couples who have normal fertility.
- Effective at avoiding pregnancy throughout a woman’s reproductive life: during regular or irregular cycles, coming off contraceptives, after childbirth, during breast-feeding and nearing menopause.
- It is highly reliable. Studies have demonstrated a method effectiveness of 99% in avoiding pregnancy. NFP is as effective as any drug on the market. NFP is not the calendar rhythm method, which was unable to account for cycle irregularity.
- It is medically safe. There are no harmful side effects. There are no drugs, devices or chemicals that alter normal reproductive systems.
- It is morally acceptable in all major religions as a responsible means to postpone pregnancy and regulate family size. NFP accepts fertility as a normal and healthy process that is a precious gift from God - a gift to be loved, respected, understood and wisely used.
- It is easy to learn. Professionallytrained teachers provide instruction and materials, and they are available for follow-up visits to encourage client learning and confidence.
- It is less expensive than contraceptives. The materials to get started typically cost less than a trip to the doctor, and the follow-up sessions are on a sliding fee scale.
- It promotes intimacy. Ongoing communication and creative ways of showing affection become a part of married life.
- It protects new life. There is nothing to hinder the development of a newly conceived life.
- It is helpful to couples who experience infertility by identifying and treating many reproductive health problems.