Reporting Suspected Abuse

What to do if you suspect abuse or neglect of a child in Kansas.

If a child is in immediate danger call 911 or local law enforcement.

Any person who has reason to believe that a child is being abused or neglected can make a confidential report to the Kansas Department for Children and Families Protection Report Center. The state provides a toll-free child abuse hotline.

Kansas Department for Children and Families Child Abuse Hotline
(800) 922-5330

A child is any person who has not reached his or her eighteenth (18) birthday. An “abused child” is any child who has been neglected, or sexually, physically, or psychologically injured.

According to Kansas State law (38-1522 as amended in 1988), the following persons must report cases when there is a reason to suspect abuse of a minor: “Persons licensed to practice the healing arts of dentistry; persons licensed to practice optometry; persons engaged in postgraduate training programs approved by the state board of healing arts; licensed psychologists, licensed professional or practical nurses examining, attending or treating a child under the age of 18 years; teachers, school administrators or other employees of a school which the child is attending; chief administrator officers of medical care facilities; persons licensed by the secretary of health and environment to provide child care services or the employees of persons so licensed at the place where the child care services are being provided to the child; licensed social workers; firefighters; emergency medical services personnel; mediators appointed under K.S.A. 23-602 and amendments thereto; and law enforcement officers.”

What to do if you suspect abuse by church or school personnel.

In addition to making a report to the proper civil authorities, please make a report to the diocese. Taking the step to report a complaint of sexual abuse by a priest or employee of the Archdiocese is not easy. For many people the strength and courage to make such a report often comes after many years of inner anguish. Survivors, who have made such reports over the years, have sensitized us to the needs of survivors and families especially with regard to making an initial complaint. As you contemplate your contact with the Diocese of Salina, we want to assure you that you will be treated with respect and kindness. After a survivor has completed and submitted the report sexual abuse form by clicking the link below, Dcn. Steven Frueh, Diocesan Assistance Coordinator, will contact the survivor by phone or email to arrange for an interview by phone or in person.  The survivor will be asked to provide his/her name, date of birth, current address, phone number, name of perpetrator, years of abuse and a brief description of the nature of the abuse. General information which does not include the name of the survivor may also be shared with law enforcement officials. 

A person may also report allegations of child sexual abuse by writing, calling, or e-mailing the Diocese of Salina.

Dcn. Steven Frueh
Diocesan Assistance Coordinator
P.O. Box 2984
Salina, KS 67402

(785) 825-0865
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


What to do if you need to talk with someone.

The Diocese of Salina also has a “Diocesan Assistance Counselor.” The goal of the Diocesan Assistance Counselor in the diocese is to promote healing and reconciliation with victims of child sexual abuse on behalf of the Catholic Church. All contacts are private and confidential. Contact information for the Diocesan Assistance Counselor may be obtained by contacting Dcn. Steven Frueh.

Dcn. Steven Frueh
Diocesan Assistance Coordinator
103 N. 9th Street
Salina, KS 67401
(785) 825-0865
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


There also exist a wide variety of mental health organizations within the Diocese of Salina. The following agencies offer individual and family counseling.

Catholic Charities - Salina - (785) 825-0208, Toll Free (888) 468-6909,  Hays - Toll Free (877) 625-2644

High Plains Mental Health

Hays - (785) 628-2871

Colby - (785) 462-6774

Norton - (785) 877-5141

Osborne - (785) 346-2184

Phollipsburg - (785) 543-5284

Goodland - (785) 899-5991


Pawnee Mental Health


Manhattan -(785) 587-4300

Clay Center - (785) 632-2108

Concordia - 243-8900

Junction City - (785) 762-5250

Beloit - (785) 738-5363

Belleville - (785) 527-2549