Learn more about methods of NFP.
- The CrMS relies upon the standardized observation and charting of biological markers that are essential to a woman's health and fertility. These 'biomarkers" tell the couple when they are naturally fertile and infertile, allowing the couple to use the system either to achieve or to avoid pregnancy. These biomarkers also telegraph abnormalities in a woman's health. http://www.creightonmodel.com/index.html
- NaPro Technology
- This is the first women's health science to network family planning with reproductive health monitoring and maintenance. It is a fertility-care based medical approach rather than a fertility-control approach to family planning and gynecological health. NaProTECHNOLOGY uses the Creighton Model FertilityCare™ System biomarkers to monitor easily and objectively the occurrence of various hormonal events during the menstrual cycle. NaProtracking provides valid information that can be interpreted by a woman and by physicians who are specifically trained in this system.
- Unlike common suppressive or destructive approaches, NaProTECHNOLOGY works cooperatively with the procreative and gynecologic systems. When these systems function abnormally, NaProTECHNOLOGY identifies the problems and cooperates with the menstrual and fertility cycles that correct the condition, maintain the human ecology, and sustain the procreative potential. http://www.naprotechnology.com
- The Sympto-Thermal Method (STM) taught by CCL is based on three key signs of fertility: cervical mucus, basal body temperature and changes in the cervix. By observing and recording these signs you and your spouse will be able to identify Phase I, II and III and therefore know if you’re in a time of fertility or infertility.
- These signs are easily noticed by any woman who has learned to watch for them. It takes only a minute or two each day to record them in CCL’s mobile app, CycleProGo, or on a paper chart. The chart provides a daily record that can be used to identify the days of fertility and infertility. Once the fertile and infertile days have been identified, couples apply “rules” that they learn in class (and that are explained in CCL’s Student Guide) to frame the boundaries between the phases of the cycle. https://ccli.org
- The Marquette Model (MM) system of NFP brings 21st century technology to NFP by using the ClearBlue Easy Fertility Monitor, a device used at home which measures hormone levels in urine to estimate the beginning and end of the time of fertility in a women's menstrual cycle. The information from the monitor can be used in conjunction with observations of cervical mucus, basal body temperature, or other biological indicators of fertility. The MM was developed by professional nurses and physicians at Marquette University in the late 1990s. A recent (2007) study published in the Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing demonstrated a 97-98% efficacy of the MM in avoiding pregnancy when taught by a qualified teacher and correctly applied. http://nfp.marquette.edu
- The Billings Ovulation Method™ is a natural method of fertility management. It teaches you to recognize your body's natural signal of fertility - cervical mucus. Your reproductive system is wonderfully complex, yet the signals it gives you can be quite simple, helping you identify the fertile and infertile times in your cycles. You may have noticed different types of discharge throughout your menstrual cycle. The sensation that this discharge produces outside the vaginal opening also changes. This is because your cervix produces different types of mucus in response to changing hormone levels. Once you're familiar with these changes you'll be able to identify your patterns of fertility and infertility in your cycle. http://www.boma-usa.org/index.php
- This Ovulation Method is 99% effective in postponing pregnancy. It is based on the simple recognition of natural signs of fertility that appear for several days during a woman’s cycle. Mercedes Wilson from Venezuela has created a program unsurpassed in it’s clarity and simplicity. She has developed instructional aids that help couples the world over from the illiterate to the most learned to understand the mechanics of NFP so that they can achieve great confidence in the method. https://www.familyplanning.net